Arouet presents the Seattle Premiere of the Award Winning play,
A play by Jon Marans
Directed by Roy Arauz
May 10-25, 2013
The Temperamentals chronicles the founding of the Mattachine Society, the first sustained gay rights organization in the United States in the pre-Stonewall, McCarthy era. It is also the love story of two of its founding members, communist Harry Hay and Viennese fashion designer Rudi Gernreich. “Temperamental” comes from early 20th century as a slang for homosexual, and was used as a necessary code in the early 1950s as homosexuality was thoroughly prosecuted.
The New York Times called The Temperamentals an eminently likable docudrama about gay identity in the age of Eisenhower.” Backstage said “The Temperamentals is an exceedingly fine play – smart, passionate, focused, and satisfying.”
Jon Marans received the John Gassner Award for the The Temperamentals.
“The Temperamentals” is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, New York, NY.
[table id=7 /]
*The Thursday, May 10th performance will be interpreted for the hearing impaired
Cast and Crew
For a detailed bios and photos, please visit Meet The Cast and Crew of The Temperamentals
- Daniel Wood (Harry Hay)
- Jaryl Draper (Rudi Gernreich)
- Greg Brisendine (Chuck Rowland and others)
- Will Halsey (Bob Hull and others)
- Justin Ison (Dale Jennings and others)
- Mariajose Barrera (Production Manager)
- Dani Dodge (Stage Manager)
- J.S. Epperson (Sound Design)
- Keith Gehrig (Lighting Design)
- Kristina Hestenes Stimson (Costume Design)
- Kim Rosin (Set Design)